- Eat a light meal, or just a liquid diet on the morning prior to visiting us. You will not be put under general anesthesia for the procedure. Therefore, fasting is not a requirement. However, you may fast if you want if you already feel nauseous from being pregnant. Do not eat a heavy meal, because some of the medications that we will give you can cause nausea. Having a light stomach makes it less likely to vomit.
- Drink a lot of water the day prior to the scheduled day and that morning if possible. Having a lot of water in the body keeps you well hydrated and the veins more readily accessible. This makes a blood draw easier for you.
- If possible, arrange for a driver to drop you off and pick you up. Having a ride is not absolutely necessary, but preferable. Again since general anesthesia will not be given for the surgical abortion, mind-altering drugs will not be in the system. This means that driving is usually possible afterward since a local anesthetic is given. However, without a driver a sedative cannot be given, which is recommended to help relieve anxiety.
- Wear comfortable and loose-fitting clothing. Afterward, cramping is normal. Having tight clothes makes the crams a little worse. This way you will be as comfortable as possible prior to leaving the clinic.
- Feel free to bring in a private music listening device with an earpiece, such as an i-pod. Many of our patients prefer to listen to music during the surgical abortion and while waiting in the lobby. We use a special silent machine, so the procedure is actually very quick and quiet. However, a private music device is an excellent way to help you relax and relieve some of the natural stress.
- Take off a couple of days from work or school. Postoperative recovery from abortion is indeed very quick, and most people resume normal activity within a couple of days. Nevertheless, taking a few days off to relax is probably a good idea. Although most can return to work in a couple of days (assuming it is not manual work), taking some extra time may be advisable. We can provide you with a medical release from work or school if you require it.
Privacy and Confidentiality at Our Clinic
Since this is a very private matter, we strive to make it available with as much privacy and confidentiality as possible. Our staff is sensitive to such needs during the process. Our clinic location is in a private part of our building, and its location affords our patients greater privacy.
Also, the building is located on a large private lot, which does not allow for protestors to be close by to harass women seeking termination at the clinic. In fact, to date, we have never had any protestors at our center. You should know that if you choose to visit our women’s clinic, you need not worry about confidentiality, privacy, or harassment from anyone.
Our provider offers pregnancy termination for the first trimester and part of the second trimester, until 16 weeks of pregnancy gestation. The procedure is performed in a safe and private room in our clinic.
The medical pill mifepristone or Mifeprex is also an option for pregnancy termination. It is available for anyone that wants to avoid the surgery. However, it is only an option only in the early part of the first trimester, up to 9 weeks.
Clinics serving Whittier, Norwalk, La Habra
Our medical center is in Santa Ana. We service patients from all of Southern California and Orange County, such as Anaheim, Fountain Valley, Buena Park, Tustin, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Irvine, Long Beach, Lakewood, Norwalk, Downey, Costa Mesa, Long Beach, Seal, and Huntington Beach, Westminster, Whittier, Norwalk, La Habra, Yorba Linda.